Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Salamander Has Some Questions



The Salamander has been doing a lot of thinking, and has some questions. Read his post, and feel free to weigh in:

.. the other day, I was thinking about 'the Base' ..
that unusual group of committed voters for Stephen Harper..
plus truly fervent media.. Lilley, Levant et al
wondering what caused their odd shrill partisan malady

And I was also thing about the Harper apparatus - Party & Government
and the retinue of PMO, lawyers, RoboCall vendors, pollsters etc etc
and beyond belief wealthy corporate partners & think tanks
you know, the folks that truly benefit from their complicity

And then I thought about the rest of Canada.. voters, people, kids, elders etc
and within that group I guess falls Trudeau & Mulcair, May et al
all with some sort of perspective or belief in what exactly Canada stands for
province to province, urban rural, young old, employed or unemployed etc

I can't claim any blinding insight came from that particular thinking session
it was really just musing to myself on how laughable or insane the reality is..

I asked myself some simple questions though.. about what defines Canadians
now.. like right now.. A majority of Canadians.. and to a certain extent..
eligible voter Canadians.. When they vote.. what drives that decision?
Or even if not voting, what drives their perception of Canada
and their perception of the politics or politicians currently serving Canadians..
You know.. as elected public servants.. or paid public servants ?


I plan to write a 'rant' .. like the 'I am Joe' kind of rant..
and I want to write it correctly.. because I'm not Joe.. I'm me
and I want the rant to speak to and speak for current Canadians

And if I can't exactly put my thumb on what describes all Canadians
or what the particular dreams, needs or wishes of each or all Canadians are ..
I certainly want to identify what I'm certain they do not want or believe in..
as well as the issues or action or realities that give them pause, fear & doubts

I get that Canadians may not support Trudeau, Mulcair, Ms May etc
as being a clear improvement over Mr Harper & his record or promises
and that bothers me.. It really truly scares me, as a Canadian..
That we have no obvious and clear alternative to a despicable flailing government

How can this be? That we must even contemplate such a catastrophic failure?

I'll think on this some more.. work on my rant..
and hope Duffy & Harper's key associates' testimonies
at the very least send the toxic government, party and apparatus packing

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to read what "the rest of Canada" is thinking, the silent majority so to speak, yet the outcome of the election is completely dependent on them. Unless Harper comes up with some deception or fraud to hold on to power, then the majority of Canadians (of which he has total contempt) need to vote him out. How they feel about the other leaders is also hard to read. It is scary sitting in limbo like this. I don't want to see the slightest chance of Harper getting back in. The most important thing is that everyones gets out to vote. I think Canadians overall are a progressive bunch, who do share anything with Harper and although they may not follow politics to closely I think they sense this about Harper. I am a Canadian living in freedom and democracy and I want my government to cherish and reflect those values, not a government like the present one who opposes and seeks to destroy those same values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice, Pamela, that Harper has found a new wedge issue, life without parole. I have a feeling that the manipulation inherent in his pending legislation will not be noticed by the average Canadian.

      Delete
  2. The latest piece of legislation is clearly an attempt to scare the hell out of Canadians, Lorne. Are we really that gullible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sad answer, Owen, is that too many of us are.

      Delete