Thursday, March 15, 2012

Is Liuna Local 183 Trying To Stifle Dissent?

As I have indicated in past posts, Liuna local 183 seems to be the poster boy for bad union behaviour. Not only has it made some very questionable decisions that work to the detriment of the union movement as a whole, but now, it seems it may using the strongest measures possible to stifle discussion and dissent.

As revealed in a Star story today, the union leadership is seeking the expulsion of 13 workers who disrupted a meeting while asking questions but getting no satisfactory answers over the employment of John Manadarino, a disgraced union employee who still retains employment through his management of the Canadian Tri-fund.

If the members are expelled, they will lose their livelihoods as they will no longer be able to work on unionized construction projects.

The question people have to ask themselves is if this sanction is justified, given the physical disruption that occurred at the Mandarino meeting, or whether this is the union equivalent of corporate libel chill.

7 comments:

  1. couldn't agree more...it's too bad that this is happening...the real problem is that local 183 is really run by Joe Mancinelli and not the current business manager...I'm a 183 member and I stopped attending monthly meeting because of the fact that it is now a dictatorship at the hall...you can't ask questions anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fellow member, I Agree with you, it is one voice at local 183. Until members see the union as theirs and treat it as theirs they could be walked on deceived or even misrepresented. This may be the largest local in north America, but it is not any where close to be atracttve. In fact this local is a joke, but we must be firm and polite to hold the leaders accountable for their actions.

      Delete
  2. I am also a member and wonder if these men are as unintelligent as there actions are .There list of regrets in life are ever growing .You are only the sum of your work people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work high rise and I'm non union lol the union guy from 183 was like u have to b union lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya this union is a joke with no backbone. I actually got laid off my last job for going to the hospital. Is that not against my human right? Did the company want me to die in the field? No union should sit back while one of their own needs medical attention. The union won't even return my phone calls sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dirty, corrupt and evil union. This union have maliciously sued they're own members and used the members money to do it. They don't want the members to speak out. They will bully, intimidate and torment them and they're family's into silence or the chill effect. They will spy on and set up they're members. The members money is used to finance private investigators, evidence planters and other union trolls to display evil deeds. These scumbags have ruined more lives than cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a member of this very shameful useless bargaining process work for the largest construction company in Canada was dismissed for doing what was right fought my way back in without Union help only to have my union rep tell the Vice President of Operations to let me come back for a year and use a mass layoff to get rid of me now all they're willing to do is offer me jobs at half of what I'm used to making it is a disgrace absolutely sickening the problem is amongst all the people who are honest workers and love their families you're always going to have those guys that are willing to break all the laws and all the rules to make themselves look good and that is what the rest of us talented hard-working individuals get pinned against it's an extremely slippery slope that these guys are playing on because some of us can be just as dirty ignorant rude evil as they are it won't be until s*** gets real that they start realizing what they've done to our province and the hard-working people that I expect to make honest livings with honest rules life balance the union is ours not theirs

    ReplyDelete