Of late, I have been thinking about Canadian pride and patriotism, and how it is so different from the shallow, reflexive and exaggerated displays the Americans are so fond of. Instead of being loud and brash, we express our loyalty to our country in quiet yet assertive ways. Many of us, for example, shun travel to the benighted land south of us; we go out of our way to minimize the purchase of American produce and products whenever possible; buying Canadian has become the default position of many consumers.
There are those who say our identity is largely defined as not being American. And to that there are elements of truth, especially in these times when American values and culture have degenerated into a kind of Bizzaro World state, where cruelty and the denigration of others, where the attack on former friends and allies, reign supreme. All of that has led us to think more about what is important to us, and we've rediscovered something important: we are steadfast in the conviction of our values, values that embrace the collective over the individual, where kindness and compassion remain strengths, not weaknesses to be exploited, where common decency remain defining characteristics. Indeed, they have become more important than ever.
Mark Carney's Labour Day message exemplifies some of those values:
As mentioned, our way has traditionally been a quiet way, at least up till now. The relentless attacks on our character, on our very nationhood, are wearing us down to the point we are speaking up loudly when insulted, no longer willing to play a passive role in defence of our country.
Many say, and to an extent I agree, that we should not take the bait of American provocation. Consider Doug Ford's recent comments that Trump could "kiss my ass." Personally, there was some satisfaction in hearing that, even though such a truculent and crass display of umbrage likely sinks to a Trumpioan level of insult we would be better to avoid.
But I admit that my pride as a Canadian is often deeply offended by American insult and condescension. They go out of their way to belittle us in ways that demand a reaction. Consider this recent interview of Scott Bessent by Lara Trump:
I rather liked this AI-generated response:
I will not bother talking about the juvenile, crass posts by Pete Hegseth who, with each foray into social media, proves he is not a real man at all. Nor will I deign to discuss Howard Lutnick, an especially vile mouthpiece of the Trump administration. It is sufficient, perhaps, to dismiss all of them as agents provocateurs of their deranged master.
So on this Labour Day I reflect on the things that make me Canadian, and I am proud. The day itself demonstrates many of the reasons for that pride. And for me, and I hope many other Canadians, that is a sufficient balm for the times we find ourselves living in.
No comments:
Post a Comment