Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A Personal Reflection

Regular readers may have noticed that I have not been posting very much in the last month or so. In addition to it having been a busy Christmas season, the other reason stems from my own outlook.

While there may be a measure of seasonal affective disorder influencing that outlook, I think the main cause is that I find it increasingly difficult to get excited, upset, outraged or flummoxed by the world's antics. For me, there is nothing new under the sun, which presents a problem for a blogger who writes about the world. One of the rules I have generally observed in my writing life, both on this platform and in my other communication endeavours, is not to write when I don't feel it. In other words, writing for the sake of writing, without even a modicum of passion, is an empty exercise with generally unsatisfying results.

Don't get me wrong - committing mu thoughts to metaphorical paper has been an integral part of my life since I was a young teenager, when I started submitting letters to the editor. Writing has always helped to focus and refine my thinking, and in these latter days of my life, I hope it helps to keep my cognitive functioning intact. I have no desire to "go gentle into that good night."

Nonetheless, and I hope my inertia will pass, I have no faith in the world anymore. Unlike when I was young, when everything seemed possible (even flying cars!), I now see only the ending of things, and the deep sense that as a species, we have passed our best before date, that we are participating in the long goodbye.

I shall close this mini-confessional with a clip by the late, great George Carlin who, in the latter part of his career, seemed to mirror my dour worldview.



4 comments:

  1. I understand your dilemma Lorne for whist In my case it is not that I do not wish to comment, perhaps rant would be a better description, upon the daily bloody nonsense we are bombarded with to do so is simply too much effort. Never a skilled writer I find that by the time I get even a small synopsis of the thoughts crowding my mind down as a readable form with my painfully slow and error filled keyboarding much of the original thoughts are hidden behind the next mind ramblings.
    As you say we may well be past our 'best before date' but dont let that stop you from adding you thoughts to the ever increasing jungle we call the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Rural. It's good to hear from you, and I shall try to take your advice. I do notice that the blogosphere is getting smaller, and I wonder if it is in part due to a sense of futility in what we are doing. That being said, the powerless that I and others may feel must pall compared to the frustration felt by so many who have absolutely no voice in this increasingly chaotic world.

      Delete
  2. Re,
    I do notice that the blogosphere is getting smaller, and I wonder if it is in part due to a sense of futility!

    You are correct on that assumption.
    perhaps it's because the older baby boomers are now starting to die off or are just worn down by the ceaseless overpowering social media providers who offer cheap, easy, uncomplicated answers to complicated situations?
    I find it frustrating that many of today's political and social decisions are made on 'likes and followers' rather than good judgement and discussion.

    FWIW, a comment on humanity..
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/14/greece-wildfires-climate-crisis-future

    TB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your observations, and your link to
      The Guardian piece - a great article, TB. Like you, I think much policy is formulated on the back of the social media envelope. Is it a cause, or merely a reflection of our drift toward vapidity and shallowness?

      Delete