Thursday, December 30, 2021

As The Year Closes Out


As 2021 comes to a close, if you are still looking for a worthy cause to contribute to and get a tax receipt from, I have a suggestion. But first, allow me to provide a bit of context.

As a teacher for 30 years, my deepest respect went to those who stove the hardest to improve themselves. They might not have been the best writers or the most apt students, but their willingness to work hard meant that I would always be there if and when they sought extra help. That offer of help was extended, of course, to all students, but I always told them they had to ask for it; my forcing them to come to see me would have been a waste both of my time and theirs. 

In that spirit, and also in the spirit of ongoing reconciliation efforts, I would like to heartily endorse a non-profit called Inspire.

Indspire is a national Indigenous registered charity that invests in the education of First Nations, Inuit and Métis people for the long term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada.

Our vision is to enrich Canada through Indigenous education and by inspiring achievement. In partnership with Indigenous, private and public sector stakeholders, Indspire educates, connects and invests in First Nations, Inuit and Métis people so they will achieve their highest potential.

I have helped support the organization for awhile now, and its mission to help those seeking higher education resonates with me, as I sure it does with many others.  

If you decide to contribute, you can do so with confidence. Here is what Charity Intelligence Canada has to say about Indspire:

The charity reports that 90% of students who were supported by Indspire’s BBF program graduated from post-secondary. 

According to a 2020 Indspire report on the BBF program, nearly 60% of grant recipients hold a bachelor’s degree or above and more than 17% hold a non-university certificate or diploma. Of BBF recipients who are no longer in school, 89% are employed. 

While Ci highlights these key results, they may not be a complete representation of Indspire’s results and impact.

Charity Intelligence has rated Indspire as High impact based on its demonstrated impact per dollar spent.

Education may not be a universal panacea, but it is the best tool for success that we have. And in a world in which many of us feel increasing helpless, overwhelmed by forces beyond our control, it is gratifying to know that there are still things we can do that have an impact. 

 


6 comments:

  1. A safe and gentle New Year to you and yours, Lorne. Live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Lorne. Best of luck moving forward into 2022.

    -MC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MC. The same to you. May all our journeys be less stressful in 2022.

      Delete
  3. A few blogs I entertain are run by retired teachers who offer, as one would expect, education as the answer to most if not all problems.
    I suggest that education of late has been a failure.
    For some years education has focused on individual rights and not responsibilities.
    Hence we live in an irresponsible world, a world with rights and not responsibilities.
    Sorry squire; classic fail.
    That said keep up the good work and provoke discussion.
    A happy new year to all.

    TB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, TB. I'm not sure the failure is in the classroom as much as it is in the dictates handed down from on high, both at the provincial and the school board level. Education has become highly politicized over the years, perhaps even more than it was during my time. I remember once saying to my department head that one of the failures in education is the myth that it can right all wrongs. I told her we should never have been propagating such a message, given that there are so many influences and variables over which we have no control. Her response was, "We had no choice, Lorne." I never quite understood what she meant by that.

      As a classroom teacher, I harboured no illusions that I was changing the world. If I made life a little better for some of my students, that was enough. If I taught some to be more critical thinkers, that was more than enough for me.

      Delete