Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Days Of Outrage

The expression of outrage can serve a useful purpose, no doubt. It can promote new awareness that facilitates change; it can lead to levels of engagement that ultimately may improve the lives of many; it can change how we look at the world.

Or it can simply be an exercise that begins and ends on social media, a self-limiting foray that may make the participant feel virtuous but accomplishes little or nothing in the real world.

Today, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is no doubt celebrating what it must see as a massive victory:
After more than a century behind bars, the beasts on boxes of animal crackers are roaming free.

Mondelez International, the parent company of Nabisco, has redesigned the packaging of its Barnum's Animals crackers after relenting to pressure from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

The redesign of the boxes, now on U.S. store shelves, retains the familiar red and yellow coloring and prominent "Barnum's Animals" lettering. But instead of showing the animals in cages - implying that they're traveling in boxcars for the circus - the new boxes feature a zebra, elephant, lion, giraffe and gorilla wandering side-by-side in a grassland. The outline of acacia trees can be seen in the distance.
This change has come about as a result of pressure by the animal rights' organization. Forgive my cynicism, but this changes virtually nothing. It is cosmetic and, as most efforts at spin are, profoundly shallow. We continue to eat animals; big-game hunters, although under significant pressure, seem indefatigable in their bloodlust; homeless animals still abound. In other words, while people may feel virtuous over PETA's 'victory,' the status quo continues.

And that gets to the crux of the matter, in my view. We have entered an age where remote participation in causes has become a substitute for real involvement. Instead of people going out in the streets to protest, making principled boycotts of businesses, writing actual letters to CEOs, they instead merely sign online petitions, send out heartfelt tweets, post on Facebook, etc. (all of which I am guilty of, I might add.) While such 'spooky action at a distance' may promote short-term feelings of virtue, for far too many, they become ends in themselves.

The thoughtful reader may object. Isn't some involvement, however transitory or shallow, better than none? In my view, it is far too late for such gestures. The natural world is collapsing while we tweet our outrage. Temperatures around the world are rising; Arctic ice is rapidly melting; floodwaters are rising; drought is widespread; forests are aflame, and feedback loops are fully operational. Yet we still drive our cars everywhere and idle them with abandon in parking lots so we can have our air-conditioning to insulate us from some inconvenient truths.

Taking real action is hard, demanding time, commitment and real resolve. Expressing outrage is easy, and serves, if anything, as a powerful distraction from the real problems confronting our sorry world.


10 comments:

  1. Small victories are still victories.

    UU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, UU, but if they begin and end thus, what has really changed?

      Delete
  2. I too grow weary of blogging, letters to the editor, letters to politicians. What we're dealing with is the ultimate case for civil disobedience given the perilous state of our world. I've been toying with the idea of a seniors' crusade to block the TransMountain pipeline - somehow organizing a small army of seniors to turn out in numbers that will overwhelm the police/security forces ability to arrest, process and incarcerate more than a small fraction and just keep feeding new protesters into the assembly to replace others as quickly as they're arrested. Force them to arrest lifelong law-abiding seniors not in penny packets but by the hundreds, several hundreds. A completely non-violent, non-destructive blockade. Old people who are parents, grandparents. Show their kids and grandkids that we're now embarked onto a new world where people may have to resist on many issues critical to the very survival of our society, our civilization. Show them that they, in turn, must be prepared to resist governments that have abandoned the public wellbeing in order to serve special interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Hedges has written about the need for massive civil disobedience, Mound. If ever there was a time, it is now. If ever there was a generation that needed to put its money where its mouth is, it is ours.

      Delete
  3. Lorne, as I woke up to yet another announcement that we are cut off from the rest of Canada because bob the forest fires, I sent my kids the usual warning to fill their cars. My daughter reminded us to stock up on dairy and toilet paper. Luckily the local farms will be filling the stores soon with fresh veggies and the downtown community garden has doubled in size to almost an acre full of more veggies along with private and commercial greenhouses and backyard gardens no one should starve if it goes on for long.

    There will never be a federal or world solution to anything but it brings to mind that if I had an electric or hydrogen powered vehicle it would be no problem as we have an independent power grid and producing electricity's easy. If Europe can burn garbage like plastic safely there is no reason any community couldn't be self sufficient. Just read the obligatory article in the globe about how we need to end supply management in dairy but reality is that as a country all food and natural resources need to be managed the same way to supply our needs first and sell or donate the excess to less fortunate countries.

    For my laugh of the day I think about what would happen in a place like Toronto or Calgary or any other big city if the same thing happened to them. For us it happens almost every year at least once so our society is slowly changing to be more independent.

    bb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local independence and self-reliance will likely be the necessary model going forward, bb. As I contemplate the future, I see things such as food insecurity, widespread displacement and massive social disruption becoming increasingly common. For those living in the West, it will be something many will find very hard to adapt to, and while our privations will likely be less than in other parts of the world, the transition will still be bitter and very difficult.

      Delete
  4. I just went out to do some clean up in my garage. 20 minutes later I had to retreat back indoors because of the smoke. I'm awaiting delivery of a portable air purifier, one that's rated tops for removing the small particulate matter associated with wildfire smoke. I hope I'll only need it for a couple of weeks each summer but that remains to be seen. I can't begin to imagine how people are coping in interior BC where they're surrounded by these fires. At least we have the prospect of clean winds off the Pacific to flush out the smoke in the next day or two but that doesn't mean the smoke won't return the following week. There's a demonstration scheduled for Nanaimo today where Trudeau and company are holding a "retreat" but I've got ticker trouble and couldn't take exposure to this smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the reports I hear or read about suggest conditions I have never experienced; the closest I come to it are the experiences I had many years ago when I worked in Northern Manitoba and there were fires in Saskatchewan and north of us. It sounds like that was nothing compared to what you and others are now experiencing, Mound.

      As for Trudeau, I do hope the reception he gets in Nanaimo leaves no room for sunny spin.

      Delete
  5. Guilty.... I sit in my armchair viewing your and Mounds 'rants' and occasionally throwing my hat in the ring or writing a useless blog about our deteriorating political system just to make myself feel little better but as to actually doing something (other than endeavoring to make my few acres of life giving trees 'sustainable') I feel totally helpless to make any difference. I fear for my adult children, and more so for my grandchildren, for between the impact of climate change and the world wide political mayhem that negates any efforts to save our world (be it from annihilation, war or starvation) I sometimes thank fate that I in 'my senior years'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will notice in my post that I do not exclude myself from the actions I describe, Rural. Increasingly, I also feel the futility of my efforts, but I guess what keeps me going is the knowledge that silence gives consent to the madness around us. I hope never to give that consent.

      Delete