Saturday, July 9, 2022

A Bit Of A Holiday

We are currently on a trip to Newfoundland, where our son and daughter-in-law moved in the fall, after living and working in Alberta for several years. It is our first trip since Covid, and the first time we have seen them in about two-and-a-half years. I probably won't be posting much, except perhaps for a few pictures. 

From our Airbnb, I took the trail up to St. John's Signal Hill yesterday, and it was a more arduous than I had anticipated, but I made it to the top. Guess I didn't do too badly for an old guy, eh? 

Here is a picture of me and Chief, an eight-year-old Newfoundland dog who is kind of a fixture on Signal Hill. I met him three years ago when we were attending our son's wedding in St. John's, and he appears to be still going strong but apparently is battling illness.


Below is a picture of some houses nestled alongside St. John's Harbour, where I began my ascent to Signal Hill.

That's all for now, folks.

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your holiday, Lorne. May you come back refreshed and renewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Owen. There is something truly restorative about Newfoundland and its people.

      Delete
    2. I haven’t been to Newfoundland for a long time. My dad was from Newfoundland and all my siblings now live on the mainland. I know what that treck to the Hill is like. Do enjoy your vacation with bake apples and lobster.Anyong

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Anyong. Sampling the cuisine is on our agenda.

      Delete
  2. One hopes you’ll have a grand visit on the Rock
    Steep yourselves in the astonishing history
    Probably the shipwreck capital of the world ..
    Here’s a brief read to help you on your way
    & ideally for your ‘visit’ is the weather fates are kinder
    than they were in those day off the Grands Banks
    and inshore near Isle Aux Morts.. Isle Of The Dead !

    🦎 the salamander

    https://thedespatch.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sal. Just got in from a visit to the Avalon Colony, in Ferryland. A fascinating place with ongoing archeological excavations, recovering artifacts from the 1600's. The weather has been great thus far; I shall be sure to read the Wordpress link you provided me with.

      Delete
  3. Newfoundland is one of few provinces I've never been to; it's top of my list! Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. We are having a really good time, and the weather has been excellent. Yesterday, on a whale-watching tour, we had some spectacular sightings!

      Delete
  4. Another book that may interest you Lorne is called “Don’t Tell The Newfoundlanders” by Greg Malone. Your understanding of Newfoundland will be forever changed. My father knew much of these events as de was born in1917 and educated. He believed this writing to be as he said “top draw”. He had an utter dislike of Joey Smallwood, who was not a Newfoundlander, and MacKenzie King. Newfoundland was given to Canada as payment for the $6.2 billion dollars Canada loaned to the UK for the WWII. Anyong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Anyong. I shall look for the book.

      Delete