Wednesday, October 12, 2016

UPDATED: Why Is the Mainstream Press Ignoring This Story About Donald Trump?

I was alerted to this story by my friend Jonathan; it is profoundly disturbing, even though, because it involves an alleged rape committed by Donald Trump, it probably should not shock or astound anyone.

Tomorrow, October 14, may be a stressful day for the Republican nominee, in that he has a 10:00 a.m. appointment at the Thurgood Marshall Court House, Lower Manhattan, in response to a suit launched by Katie Johnson, who claims she was raped by Trump in 1994, when she was but 13 years old:



You can view the plaintiff's complete complaint here, but here is the essence of it. The details may not be suitable for everyone:
A federal lawsuit filed in New York accuses Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump of repeatedly raping a 13-year-old girl more than 20 years ago, at several Upper East Side parties hosted by convicted sex offender and notorious billionaire investor Jeffrey Epstein.

The suit, first reported by the Real Deal, accuses Trump and Epstein of luring the anonymous plaintiff and other young women to four parties at Epstein's so-called Wexner Mansion at 9 East 71st Street. Epstein allegedly lured the plaintiff, identified in the suit only as Jane Doe, with promises of a modeling career and cash.

Another anonymous woman, identified in additional testimony as Tiffany Doe, corroborates Jane's allegations, testifying that she met Epstein at Port Authority, where he hired her to recruit other young girls for his parties. Trump had known Epstein for seven years in 1994 when he attended the parties at Wexner, according to the suit. He also allegedly knew that the plaintiff was 13 years old.

Jane Doe filed a similar suit in California in April, under the name Katie Johnson, also accusing Trump and Epstein of rape. That suit was dismissed on the grounds of improper paperwork — the address affiliated with her name was found to be abandoned. Today's suit confirms that the plaintiffs are one and the same.
Here is what allegedly happened, in Johnson's own words:
I traveled by bus to New York City in June 1994 in the hope of starting a modeling career. I went to several modeling agencies but was told that I needed to put together a modeling portfolio before I would be considered. I then went to the Port Authority in New York City to start to make my way back home. There I met a woman who introduced herself to me as Tiffany. She told me about the parties and said that, if I would join her at the parties, I would be introduced to people who could get me into the modeling profession. Tiffany also told me I would be paid for attending.

The parties were held at a New York City residence that was being used by Defendant Jeffrey Epstein. Each of the parties had other minor females and a number of guests of Mr. Epstein, including Defendant Donald Trump at four of the parties I attended. I understood that both Mr. Trump and Mr. Epstein knew I was 13 years old.

Defendant Trump had sexual contact with me at four different parties in the summer of 1994. On the fourth and fnial sexual encounter with Defendant Trump, Defendant Trump tied me to a bed, exposed himself to me, and then proceeded to forcibly rape me. During the course of this savage sexual attack, I loudly pleaded with Defendant Trump to stop but he did not. Defendant Trump responded to my pleas by violently striking me in the face with his open hand and screaming that he would do whatever he wanted,

Immediately following this rape, Defendant Trump threatened me that, were I ever to reveal any of the details of Defendant Trump's sexual and physical abuse of me, my family and I wold be physically harmed if not killed.

Here is a video statement Johnson made:



The filing also includes a statement by Tiffany Doe, the woman who brought Johnson to the party:
I personally witnessed four sexual encounters that the Plaintiff was forced to have with Mr. Trump during this period, including the fourth of these encounters where Mr. Trump forcibly raped her despite her pleas to stop.

I personally witnessed the one occasion where Mr. Trump forced the Plaintiff and a 12-year-old female named Maria [to] perform oral sex on Mr. Trump and witnessed his physical abuse of both minors when they finished the act.

It was my job to personally witness and supervise encounters between the underage girls that Mr. Epstein hired and his guests.
It is important to note that Jeffrey Epstein, also named in the suit and the host of the party, is a registered sex offender who has faced a series of such allegations, and was convicted in 2008 of sex with an underage girl. Unfortunately, owing to his powerful connections, he 'served a one-year term under house arrest at his Palm Beach home.

The entire story sickens me, but you can read further details in the links provided. However, it seems to me that the larger story is the strange quiescence of the mainstream media. Surely this is a story that deserves the full attention and scrutiny of all American voters.

UPDATE: Thanks to Dana for providing a link to The Guardian, which sheds some light on why the mainstream media may be reluctant to report on this suit.

12 comments:

  1. The first time I caught wind of this story was back in April. I have been puzzled by why no one has picked it up. And if none of the MSM pick up on it now that it seems to be going ahead, it will be more than puzzling, it will be downright sinister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely concur, Kirby. I just finished watching a U.S. network's news, and there was no mention of it.

      Delete
  2. If I had to hazard a guess, it's probably endemic of the political class in the US.
    There's probably sexual assault skeletons in the closets of more than a few politicians, and the moment a stink is raised about one, then the possibility of that same stink sticking to all the rest raises exponentially.
    Reminds me of the Catholic church silence on its sexual predators in their ranks. Residential schools. Sundown towns.
    People know, but they ain't talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All silence when there is wrongdoing alleged, whether in the political arena or that of the Church, Troy, is unconscionable. As Thomas More pointed out during his trial, under the law, "Silence implies consent."

      Delete
  3. The NY Times today ran a piece about two women who came forward since the second debate to say that Trump touched them inappropriately. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/us/politics/donald-trump-women.html

    The article recounts a number of similar allegations over the years, but strangely omits Katie Johnson. Seems like a perfect opportunity to mention it, but apparently allegations of child rape are too much for the delicate sensibilities of the Gray Lady's readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the Times story in my Toronto Star this morning, Anon. As you say, not a mention of the suit allegations. Child rape, while ugly to contemplate, cannot be ignored.

      Delete
  4. It appears there may be good reason to avoid piling on to the story. The Guardian will be the explainer: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/12/donald-trump-jeffrey-epstein-alleged-rape-lawsuit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Dana. I will check it out right away.

      Delete
  5. I heard it mentioned last night, Lorne, on CNN.
    Angela Rye-D said the rape suit is impending.
    I think Trump's blanket denial of ANY improper actions at ANY time, is a prelude to how he and his henchpeople, as well as his supporters, plan on closing out this campaign/election.
    I am "Up To Here" with their false framing and false equivalence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good to hear; we don't get CNN, but it is good to know that there is some media coverage of these accusations. Whether or not they have any basis in fact is for the courts to decide. It seems to me the media are practicing a form of censorship and not simply editorial discretion when it comes to this issue.

      Delete
  6. The corporate media and their talking heads go to any length to frame this as a close race.
    There was no follow-up when the rape suit was mentioned.
    The tide is coming in now, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless the world is completely awry, Trump will soon be engulfed by recognition of his lies and his true character, LALI.

      Delete