Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Yet Another Perspective

 

H/t Caryma Sa'd

My friend Steve sent me the following, his thoughts on the trucker protest, a protest he, like countless others, is fed up with. With his permission, I am posting it here:

1. 90% of Canadian truck drivers are vaccinated. Most vaccination mandates are decided provincially or locally. Even if the federal government were to drop the vaccine mandate for truckers, Canadian truckers entering the States are still required to be vaccinated.

2. The convoy was NOT sanctioned or organized by the Canadian Truckers Association. 

3. Two of the three principal organizers have never been truckers and have stated publicly they want to “overthrow” the Canadian government, and that doesn’t mean an election.

4. Most of the truckers I see on television are middle aged white guys. Many of the truckers I see on the road are south Asian.

5. The group has attracted the racist, lunatic fringe, and the antivaxxers from across the country who make up perhaps 5% of the population.

6. The convoy organizers have lost control of the group when their participants desecrate the War Memorial or Terry Fox statue and when front and centre on Wellington St., the truck reads “Fuck Trudeau”. Back in the day, we had 40,000 teachers protesting in TO and Hamilton abs had nothing like that.

8. Heightened security is costing Ottawa $800,000 per day.

9. Over and over, I hear the truckers involved spout the same lines, “My rights”. “My freedom”. Well. Take a look at China. They’ve closed down cities of 13 mil when they have a few dozen cases! No one goes to work. Basic groceries are delivered to your door. Maybe these truckers should experience that type of freedom?
I’m not getting burnt out on vaccines, mandates or mask wearing, I’m getting fed up with the antivaxxers.


2 comments: