Sunday, June 12, 2022

Who Was That Masked Man?


As of yesterday, June 11, here in Ontario our newfound 'freedom' from masks is almost total, with the exception of LTC and retirement homes. Those who wish to continue requiring them must do so on their own initiative, without benefit of government authority. Thankfully, most hospitals are continuing to mandate them, sending a clear message that the dangers of COVID-19 are far from over.

Nonetheless, as fewer and fewer people choose to exercise common-sense precautions, preferring the sweet lie to the bitter truth, the mask will increasingly become a flashpoint for agitation and discomfiture. Even before yesterday, there have been some heated confrontations over those wearing masks in public. For ample illustration, check out some of Marie's posts.

I had a very mild experience yesterday when I encountered someone who clearly takes exception to safety precautions. Walking to his big white truck (why do they always seem to have trucks?), an early middle-aged fellow, having exited the Shoppers Drug Mart I was about to enter, sneered at me as I was donning my kn95 mask. The wisdom he imparted to me was as follows:

Him: It's a micro-organism, you know.

Me: What do you mean?

Him: The virus. It's a micro-organism.

Me: I think all viruses are micro-organisms. (After looking it up, I learned I was mistaken about this.)

I'm not sure what his point was, but I noticed when I was waiting in line he finally pulled out from his parking spot, perhaps waiting and hoping he could catch me with a clever come-back. (Yeah, but this is a different micro-organism!) Maybe either his inspiration or patience failed him. He left without convincing me of the error of my ways.

Well, I reflected on this very minor incident and speculated that more and increasingly heated confrontations will likely occur as fewer and fewer people wear masks. But I can't for the life of me understand why it matters or is a concern to anti-maskers if I and others continue to wear a mask. Do they not like any reminder that they are living in a fantasy thinking that COVID is over? Are they offended by the notion that any restrictions should exist? Do they yearn for total FREEDOM?

I don't have any answers, but I do know this. Contrarian and provocateur that I can be, I shall continue to wear a mask far into the future, if only to unsettle the cryto-facists amongst us.

13 comments:

  1. And my wife and I will do the same, Lorne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to still have enough fire in our bellies, Owen, to rattle some people.

      Delete
  2. I intend to write up a ‘memoir styling’ re my June 6 experience - being requested to appear for Jury Selection. We sat, 150 of us in a small room over two hours, masks ‘optional’.. it went downhill from there. Via Twitter in a jocular way that I now regret - being in a Covid Incubation Centre, courtesy of The Justice System

    I will follow up.. may also email to likely suspects
    These are typically 1 minute reads / one pagers

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a 2nd note - I have never had to - nor ever will engage with nosy or rude complete strangers on the street or in retail environments

    In any situation regarding assault on citizens or pets.. young old.. I will simply step up immediately, but remain silent while doing so. I’m not known for talking, getting the last word in.. anything of the sort. My personal motto is ‘all’s well that ENDS’ .. That’s it

    I advise the same to most people..
    just walk away - never engage
    zero upside - big risk downside

    Yes, I’ve had to say ‘step back or step away’ on a very rare occasion or two in the last 50 years .. but to me ‘engaging’ is an all in thing - & best remaining securely caged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you offer wise counsel here Anon, with which I largely agree. In my younger years, I sometimes did lose my temper in certain situations. I doubt that I have it (or the required testosterone) in me these days, but if sufficiently provoked, I am not entirely certain I would react with equanimity. I suspect there is still a small part of me that never grew up that could still emerge under the right conditions.

      Delete
  4. Who knew that bad hygiene and a penchant for anti social behavior were going to be survival skills?
    no closed spaces
    no crowded spaces
    no close contact
    and yes
    that makes street fights with random strangers off the to do list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pandemic has revealed many, many surprising things about the human condition, lungta.

      Delete
  5. I was on an almost empty city bus yesterday. Of the 9 people on the bus, 8 were masked. OTOH masking was spotty in the grocery store with probably 25%? masked.

    I intent to carry on wearing a mask inside public spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I, Anon. It seems the prudent thing to do; unfortunately, prudence seems to be in increasingly short supply these days.

      Delete
  6. I will continue to wear my mask as usual. I remember entering a bank recently when a person standing just outside the door commented, ‘another one of those retired people”. I did not look and paid no attention to him. I walk with a limp due to a horrible vehicle accident in 1963. You would be surprised how many people throw out dirty looks while wearing a mask. Anyong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read about such discrimination, Anyong, but until that brief Shoppers Drug Mart encounter, had not experienced it myself. Human nature never fails to surprise, eh?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the mention - it was my May 27th post that documented my slimy encounter. I've found that many anti-mask don't believe masks can possibly stop something as small as a virus but DO think it can stop air flow and suffocate people. So curious! But I'm with above posters: best not to engage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that as time goes on, and fewer and fewer people wear masks, non-engagement will become more difficult, Marie.

      Delete