Thursday, March 26, 2020

A Glaring Omission



Anyone who may read this blog regularly knows that, for a number of reasons, I am not a fan of Justin Trudeau and his government. However, I give him top marks for his consistently calm and measured demeanour during this crisis. And the financial measures announced thus far, with some caveats, seem good.

He is, however, totally failing our mainstream media.

Due to declining ad revenues, media organizations have been struggling for years to survive. Now that we are in the grips of a pandemic, many face extinction. Thus far, the federal government has announced $30 million for a Covid-19 ad campaign that will do little to keep them alive:
Beyond the ad campaign, the lack of an emergency cash infusion for the struggling industry came as a disappointment to John Hinds, president and CEO of News Media Canada.

“We hoped he was going to announce something new. Instead, what (the government) did was rehash a couple of announcements that were very good with dealing with the crisis we were facing a year ago, but have nothing to do with the (pandemic-related cash crunch) crisis we’re facing today.”
When we need sources of responsible reporting now more than ever, they are drying up:
The state of print and digital news media made headlines this week when SaltWire Network said it was laying off nearly 40 per cent of its employees — about 240 people — and suspending all weekly newspapers in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador for 12 weeks.

In Quebec, 143 jobs were lost across a co-operative that owns daily newspapers outside of Montreal, including Le Soleil in Quebec City.

In an open letter to readers, SaltWire Network CEO Mark Lever said the business lost nearly two-thirds of its revenue because many advertisers ceasing operations temporarily.

“Like many industries and businesses, the economic ripple effect of COVID-19 has hit our local newspaper media industry faster and far more aggressively than we could have ever planned for or anticipated,” Lever wrote.
Those who think news is free and can be cherry-picked off the internet need to read this piece by The Star's Irene Gentle, who reminds us how, now more than ever, it is vital to stay informed.

The newspaper is doing its part in a number of categories, bringing readers the most vetted and most important news and views on an ongoing basis. And out of a sense of civic responsibility, it has removed its paywall on stories about Covid-19.
It is the right thing to do when the actions of every one of us impacts all of us.

Doing the right thing always feels good. But such are the times that doing the right thing now can harm our future viability. The media industry is in a deep financial crisis that has only worsened with the outbreak. Journalism can be staggeringly expensive, and responsible, exclusive, accountability journalism is the most expensive of all.
I add bold-type to this part of her message:
For those who can find it in their budgets amid these very difficult times, please consider subscribing to ensure public-service journalism that’s there for you can continue to exist. The need for local, responsible, compassionate, aggressive, in-depth reporting that demands accountability is clear in times like these. Subscription by some helps ensure vital information can be available to all.
Time for all of us, both as human beings and as citizens, to put on our thinking caps and keep them on, even after this crisis passes. But thinking caps need nourishment. I can think of no better a nutrient that responsible journalism.

4 comments:

  1. I see this pandemic as a culmination of failures at a variety of levels, especially governmental. Epidemiology is an integral discipline in climate science. We've been warned, clearly and plainly, for more than 15 years that not one but a series of pandemics were heading our way. The consensus was for a novel coronavirus contagion.

    We ignored all the warnings. There was no hue and cry among the media when we needed that. They didn't elevate this to our consciousness. How else are so many of us taken by surprise, stunned? And now the media barons pose as victims. To a real extend they're the authors of their own misfortune.

    Maybe that's the answer. In some circles there's talk about letting the oldsters die so that the public and private sector can be freed up to get the economy roaring again. Well maybe we should let the old media die and see what comes up in its place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hesitant to lump all media into the same dustbin, Mound, especially given the alternative of hoaxes, junk science, etc. that abounds on the internet. I have long been a subscriber to The Star, which has done some really important work over the years; many of its investigation have resulted in legislative initiatives, for example. And in my view The Guardian, which I support financially, is a paper without peer.

      Delete
  2. .. agreed.. but with a big but..

    I have been mentioning 'irresponsible mainstream media' for over 25 years.. perhaps more. I laud & applaud & will reward 'Responsible Journalism' whether Mainstream or Indy (independant)

    My hero is W Eugene Smith.. I am a self taught photographer and later branched into Film and Video. I knew I would never have the courage of my hero.. but still I was compelled and enchanted from the very 1st moment I looked through my big sister's wedding present, a Pentax Spot F & the shutter snapped on her and her new husband. That Monday I bought my own used Spot F and a roll of Ilford HP4 B & W film

    Years & years later and I seen a thing or two.. still read like a Great White Shark on the prowl. These days.. a recent gripe is mechanical. I hate clicking on a link.. based on its Title or clues to its content & finding its Mainstream Media from the Globe & Mail or a Post Media snoutport like The Calgary Sun & its actually an op ed by Joe Oliver or Jason Kenney. If I subscribed to every MainMedia and Indy Media I would like to.. I would be spending near 500 dinero monthly. My hunger is enormous. Regardless, I am a highly disciplined & resourceful reader & researcher.. and I have the instincts and 'tude' of a truly grumpy Alberta wolverine

    https://deadwildroses.com/2020/03/26/joe-biden-political-seppuku/

    Of course I found that link.. of course I shared it among the other wolverines.. and the salamander hordes ! Of course I rubbed the smell, the flavour, the sense and essence of the find ! My homies on Twitter saw it later.. few arise at 4:30 ayem and hunt for nourishment like moi.

    Yet another career has ended for me.. so I must reinvent myself.. toute suite. A wolverine does not need money.. I do. I know I will work till the day I stop breathing and hunting.. my main reason being I WANT TO. The other being I will have to earn a living.

    Neither Donald Trump or Stephen Harper have any say re my determination in that regard. Nor does sloppy sold out Media.. or Partisan Media. You're 100 per cent locked, loaded coherent caring Canadian or can go suck eggs in my view.

    I said W Eugene Smith was my hero.. I meant it. The bar is that high.. I respect the Star's Kevin Donovan. I respect the Miami Herald, Michael Harris WoW's me. I have Twitter heroes too. This is an era of shifting ground & grifters abound. Truth that's of real use is scarce. We need to be hunter's and gatherers.. Its Darwin's Law meets Kansas City Rules, Lorne, we duel in 6 feet of muddy water, with sledge hammers & the river is rising. We need navigators, stars to guide us. Sages like Owen, McLuhan predicted and called for 'generalists' like Mound, to 'man the outposts' of Culture & Technology, we need farmers and fishermen, educators, exemplars like Dr Brilliant who can predict and teach us about disease.

    I make time for exemplars.. I see myself as a 'receptor' .. like a compass needle that turns to magnetic North..

    As an old & wise woman in Philadelphia once told me in her kindly way.. ' I tell them I'm not feeling generous today and politely close the door'. She was closing on 100 at the time, sparce in her words, not spry a'tall & I do recall, was from Missouri. Every political party had her in their electoral voter data base & hit on her for donations mercilessly. Knock knock, flyers in her mailbox, endless robo and live calls. She was priceless, explicit & polite. She was from 'the show me state' & adhered to the what have you done for me lately.. or ever.. ethic.

    Today.. we need to emulate her blunt, polite pragmatism.. with an additional and heavily weighted criteria.. or question. That being 'and what are you doing or planning to do.. to me or my children or my neighbors ?' I aint feeling particularly generous currently towards a gigantic % of Mainstream Media, Lorne





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt there is much dross out there, Sal. The same critical-thinking skills needed to intelligently navigate life must also be applied to our selection and consumption of media.

      Delete