Thursday, December 11, 2014

Remembering A 'Superstar'

Well, we arrived back in the early hours of yesterday, having enjoyed a relaxing week in Cuba. Unfortunately, there was no English-speaking Canadian television available, so I feel unprepared to offer any political commentary until I get caught up. Fortuitously, however, my son sent me the following item, which, I hope, you will find of interest.

Is it wrong for me to feel such deep and utter disdain for Jonathan Bernier, who, as you will see in the video below, does nothing to dispel the stereotype of the 'dumb jock.'

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Owen. One of the things I am doing to catch up on things is reading your past week's blog posts.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I guess that would also make Martin Luther King Jr. also an all round great athlete. Just as an aside Lorne, I heard Ron MacLean quote Lewis Lapham one night. That impressed me that he read Lapham. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela. While I was away, one of the books I read was Talk Show, by Dick Cavett, essentially a collection from his NYT online pieces. He makes references to people like Gore Vidal, William Buckley, etc, names, that were prominent for good reasons, but ones I know would be unfamiliar to younger readers. But to live in ignorance of a man like Nelson Mandela, my personal hero, is both inexcusable and unfathomable.

      Delete
  3. Lorne, I'm glad we didn't sample a representative cross-section of 26-year olds in Canada on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Mound. There is only so much disheartening news i can take on any given day.

      Delete