Friday, November 24, 2017

Bill C-27: A Followup



In yesterday's post, I discussed Linda McQauig's article about the purpose of Bill C-27, the Trudeau- Morneau pension bill that would eviscerate Defined Benefit Plans for those working for the federal government and those industries that are federally regulated, including the obscenely profitable banking sector.

In today's Star, readers express sentiments that few would disagree with:
Morneau and Trudeau looking out for the rich, McQuaig, Nov. 23

Thanks to Linda McQuaig for highlighting the Liberal government’s plan to convert guaranteed pension plans to the much riskier defined plans, which guarantee nothing.

I have only read about this issue in articles about the conflict of interest issues around Finance Minister Bill Morneau.

In my opinion, people would be less outraged about Morneau if they were made aware of the pension change that could drastically change their lives.

I’m hoping that the Star will run a front-page weekend editorial about this pension issue, because I’m betting most people know nothing about the changes the Liberal government is quietly planning to pass.

We frankly have no opposition in the federal government to hold the Liberals accountable.

We should all be outraged and frankly very afraid about our financial futures.

The rich continue to get richer and the middle class poorer.

Marnie Archibald, Barrie, Ont.

It’s clear that the Trudeau government, for all its noise about the plight of the middle class, is still primarily in the service of the wealthy and the corporate elite. Why else would they follow Harper’s Tory path and try to put an end to defined pensions?

Thanks to the Star’s opinion piece by Linda McQuaig, we are reminded again of Finance Minister Morneau’s determination to maintain the priority and preferential position of corporate CEOs and shareholders over the interests of employees who thought they had a contractual retirement deal they could count on.

Of course, employers would rather have employees take their chances on retirement security. Of course, corporate officers prefer to maintain their own defined and generous pensions. But these are feudal attitudes. Our society is less and less fair, more jobs are more and more precarious and retirement security is available only to the wealthy. This is a situation that deserves far more editorial attention and the big headlines as well.

Bruce Rogers, Lindsay, Ont.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure you had seen this so this is from the Mound:

    Somebody going by "Montreal Simon Exposed" has tried to recruit me into forwarding a complaint to ProgBlog. No idea who is behind this but you deserve to know what he/she/them are up to. https://the-mound-of-sound.blogspot.ca/2017/11/soldier-guns-are-for-soldiers.html

    And this is from me:

    Hi Mound...thanks for passing this on. The person responsible is a deranged Con/homophobe who lives in the Coquitlam Port Moody area and has been sending me weird messages for at least a year, leaving an Internet trail even a blind person can follow. This loser is under the impression that he/she/it can use my own posts to get me to quit blogging, and unfortunately was enabled by your friend Lorne, who asked the maniac to send him a list of my "offensive" posts. So now this loonie sends me one message after the other threatening to report me to the FBI or the Department of Homeland Security. The only reason I have spared this freak is because he is obviously mentally ill or suffering from dementia. But my patience is wearing thin, and I have asked the police and my family's lawyers to crush this Con like a bug....

    The deed has been done, but you enabled a violent anti-gay monster, so your part in this bigot story will not be forgotten

    I will have much more on this subject on November 28th when Justin Trudeau apologizes to gay people who were victims of blind prejudice.

    But may I suggest that it's about time you apologized for your bigoted actions?

    For in attacking me in such a fashion you attacked the whole LGBT community. And if you can't understand that you must be even more mediocre than I thought...

    ReplyDelete