Thursday, June 14, 2012

An Independent M.P. Condemns Harper Omnibus Bill

I was just reading my weekly community paper, and my M.P., the disingenuous David Sweet, indulges in a debasement of language befitting Orwell's 1984. For example, despite the tremendous havoc the Harper omnibus bill will wreak on environmental protection, Sweet says that under Bill C-38, "environmental initiatives will not be diminished at all."

A refreshing contrast to this gross distortion of the truth is offered by Bruce Hyer, the independent M.P. for Thunder Bay. In a Huffington Post article, he provides a very lucid and readable analysis of some of the bill's most devastating effects out of which a clear pattern of the Harper agenda emerges.

Let's hope that some day, in a future that is now difficult to imagine, the majority of our elected representatives will respect language, not abuse it with their politically expedient lies.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if your MP and mine have even read the bill? It is not easy to read, what with having to go and hunt up all those other Acts and find the context, and frankly, I am not sure my guy is up for the job intellectually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given the trained seals Harper's MPs are expected to be, I suppose the question is moot, Karen.

    ReplyDelete