Sunday, November 20, 2011

The roots of the UC-Davis pepper-spraying

That's the title of a searing and insightful analysis by Glenn Greenwald as he examines both the mentality and the effects, both intended and unintended, of the excessive and brutal force used against Occupy demonstrators and others.

Amongst his findings are the following:

- excessive police force against non-violent protest is not a new phenomenon;

- that excessive force has been emboldened since 9/11;

- this disproportionate use of force is not having the desired effect, in that it is galvanizing, not deterring people to join in activist acts.

I hope yoiu will take the time to read the entire article, which includes video of Greenwald speaking about Badley Manning and WikiLeaks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorne

    Sorry but I could not find any way to contact you so I thought I would post here.

    I just stumbled on your blog -- a pleasant surprise. As you know, most Canadians still love Obama, the cool-aide and don't notice the many threats to our democracy.

    But that isn't why I dropped you a line. I wanted to tell you that I am bringing Glenn Greenwald to speak in Ottawa, on April 12th, 7PM St. Paul's University.

    If you would like to come that would be great, but if not you might like to mention it on your blog. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

    You can find more info here: http://www.eyestir.com/glenn/

    If you post something, could you please let me know?

    You can email me, Bill Owen, at:eyestir@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete